The first Mercy school opened on August 20th 1900 at Philip Street, with an enrolment of 216. In 1961 the building was demolished and Montessori teaching continued in the new school premises on Military Road. The Holy Family Junior School was opened on December 9th 1961, followed by Our Lady of Mercy Senior school in February 1965.
The education of the children of the area has continued under the careful eye of the Sisters of Mercy. Among the many legacies of the Mercy Sisters are a love of art, drama and music which continue today.
The Mercy Sisters have always responded to changes and challenges of economic development with vision and confidence. Today this is reflected in our mission statement:
‘Together we encourage, enable and educate’
Our Lady of Mercy Senior National School, Military Rd, Waterford, X91 XN28